Saturday, June 11, 2011

LNWR Signal Box - part 3

I got inspired to do some more on the LNWR signal box this Queen's Birthday Long Weekend as I thought doing something about the interior would be a good idea. 

The first thing I did was consult the drawing below which details what each of the 25 levers in the signal box at St Alban's Abbey controlled.
So having worked out what each lever did, I then looked at the information on the web to find out what colour each lever would be.  Signals - Red, Points - Black, the Gong - Green, Locking - either Blue or Blue/Brown and the spare No 9 lever white.

Next I looked at what I had already done in relation to which levers were "off" and discovered that both the LNWR Outer home and the GNR Platform Home were "off".  Now while Superman would do it, I suspect the average signalman couldn't unless something had gone wrong with the interlocking!!!  Lever 9 was also "off" which, while this may have been possible, was very unlikely.  Therefore I spent sometime today sorting out the levers so that now, 1, 2, 11, 12 and 13 are all "off" which, I think, means a train signaled from Watford Junction down the LNWR branch and into the yard.

This is what it looks like with the first go with paint.   There is a bit more to do having taken the photo on the levers and then the floor needs sorting as does the desk.

As you can see, I have found a 1982 20p coin which I will use to give some idea of size.  If Australian readers are wondering, it is between a 5c and 10c coin.  Can't help other nationalities - those living over the dutch bro can work it out easily enough but I am afraid those living in North America, Europe or Asia are on their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment