Thursday, January 16, 2014

Kestrel Designs Semi-Detached House

House 1

This is my entry in the Detailed Line-side Kit category at the BRMA(Q) AMMC.  Unfortunately I wasn’t successful, but it was an enjoyable experience and I learned a lot – now I have 8 more to do to complete the street scene on the back of St Alban’s Priory.

The basic kit is that of Kestrel Design’s KD31 – Semi-Detached House and the detailing was inspired from reading an article some years ago in Grahame Hedge’s N’spirations Magazine – Number 3 from 2011 for those of you playing at home.  If you haven’t gotten a copy of this one, it is in my opinion, one of the more N’spiring of the 12 which Grahame has published and I am certainly grateful for the inspiration for this make over.

To give you some idea of what I did (and I did this for the judges) here is a photo showing the detailed kit along side a kit which has merely had Humbrol No 70 added to the walls and 64 to the roof:

House 2

House 3

The article details it step by step although I did deviate – I didn’t highlight the mortar runs in the brick work, and I went for a grey slate roof rather than the red tiles.  I also did the waste vent pipes differently (not sure about in the UK but in Australia you don’t put the sewerage and storm water down the same pipe – the pictures in N’spirations 3 have the vent pipes also connected to the gutters!)  The model looks much better in real life – it is, in the first picture, in its place on the layout but I haven’t fixed it down yet which enabled the other two pictures to be taken – than in the photos.  Looking at the photos at a high resolution on the computer screen I wonder why I thought it good enough to enter in the first place!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment